15 November 2009

When you're at the breakfast table

We are not the healthiest eaters on the block, but we do try to eat whole foods from locally grown sources when possible. I try to cook from scratch as much as possible, too. I have been making our morning granola bars, and they are a big hit. I got the recipe from the Internet, and it can easily be manipulated to suit tastes and nutrition..

4 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use oats from the grocery store)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup butter (or margarine, squished banana, or other soft substance to hold it all together)
1/2 cup honey (local is good :))
1/3 cup brown sugar (or agave or maple sugar..)
2 cups of nuts, raisins, chocolate, seeds, or other filler..

Mix all ingredients by hand. They should be all wet and moist and gooey. The wetter the better. Put all on a cookie sheet and roll out. Cook for 18 to 22 minutes at 325 until browned around the edges slightly. Let cool completely before cutting into squares. I store ours in a glass container in the microwave or in the fridge.

Yum.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I can vouch for how good these are. I used maple syrup and zweet when I made them. And I also added shredded coconut which was perfect!