06 October 2009

Life is sad
Life is a bust
All ya can do is do what you must.
You do what you must do and ya do it well,
I'll do it for you, honey baby,
Can't you tell?

Usually, I only do one line from a Dylan song in my title, but I needed the whole verse today.

The other day, at the park after our Aquatic Mammals class, as our beautiful, happy children frolicked, I looked over at a dear friend, and sighed into the sunshine, "ahh..this is the life." And, I meant it. Most people that know me know how truly grateful I am to home school, to run my own business, to be a homemaker.

But some days, I, too get a little unnerved. Today was one of those days. I am not sure if it is the 47th day of rain,or the broken seat belt in the back of the station wagon that means I have to now harness both children in myself instead of letting Ollie take over this responsibility. Maybe it was the47th time I had to repeat to the 3 year old to pick up his room, or no, maybe it is that I literally have to tell these humans to pee. (Yes, I have to tell them to pee.) Maybe it is the memory of running errands, bank, gas, grocery store, etc that seemed if not effortless and enjoyable at least fast in times past that got to me. Also, did you know that it is physically impossible for a 3 year old to be still. They literally must wiggle or talk at all times. I know that it is scientifically proven, and yet somehow sometimes I am still exasperated by the constant motion. I am pretty sure this is what some moms mean when they look at me and say, "you homeschool? I could never do it." Can I do it?

All in all, we had a fantastic day. Ollie read his first book yesterday! (the Foot Book and Go, Dog, Go!) So, we've been revealing in this life altering accomplishment. We had a grand time at Belle Meade Mansion dipping candles, blacksmithing, potting, and tussling with other boys. We have a great day planned for tomorrow, too. Yeah, I guess I can do it. I suppose EVERY job has frustrations, and at least this way my heart bursts with love and amazement at least 47 times every hour. I do it for you, honey baby, can't you tell..

No comments: